Monday 27 November 2006

Humble Beginnings

The idea of organising such a fundraiser spurred from a chance encounter with two blind girls.
Here's the self account by Anchal Lochan ;a bare 16 yrs old herself.
It all started during one of my regular visits to the eye doctor. At his clinic, I met two blind girls – Neelam Kumari and Nazeeni Parveen (both of whom came from families below the poverty line) who had just graduated out of high school and needed funding to attend college. I immediately committed all my savings, out of the pocket money and other monetary gifts I had gotten so far, to their education. Albeit my meeting with them was rather brief, they left a throbbing message in my mind – that there were more like them, who needed help and assistance, whose families think of them only as a burden, who have a yearning and a desire to learn, who should be given a fair chance to do well in life …their mere presence motivated me enough to work for their cause.That is when I got involved with the Bihar Blind People’s Care Society (BBPCS) which works for uplifting the blind in rural parts of Bihar. (Bihar happens to be one of the poorest and most underdeveloped states in India.) The organization holds camps where free surgeries are done and facilitates resources to educate blind children, look after their medical needs and basic necessities. The BBPCS is only funded by donations.At the BBPCS’s office I met Abhay, who was very enthusiastic about joining me on this trip. Dr. S.N. Upadhya, the Chairman of this organization buttressed his athletic capabilities in undertaking such a trip. An accomplishment of this sort, by a blind child will only reinforce that the insuppressible spirit which with sheer perseverance can achieve anything. He will serve as a role model to other blind children.

No comments: